Hello, dear readers! In this article I decided to talk about the new Coronavirus discovered in 2019 in Wuhan, China.
According to sources, the new Coronavirus is believed to have appeared in a seafood market in China, which demonstrates animal-to-human contamination. A large number of people diagnosed with this virus had no exposure to the seafood market, indicating that contamination from one person to another is possible.
However, it is considered that the infection started with the contamination from animal to human, which was later transmitted from person to person.
What is Coronavirus?
Corona viruses are viruses that are widespread in nature, producing both human and animal diseases of the airway and gastro-enteritis. In humans, they can also produce rhino-pharyngitis, respiratory disorders as well as the particular form of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
The name Covid-19 comes from the terms Corona, Virus and Disease and the number 19 refers to the year in which the disease was discovered. The name was given at the congress of experts in Geneva within the WHO (World Health Organization).
(Image Source – Getty Images)
What is the way of transmission?
Currently, we do not know exactly the way of transmission, because it is a new virus and so most of the knowledge is based on information about similar coronavirus viruses.
The transmission method for coronavirus is made by direct contact, from one person to another, at a distance of approximately 6 feet. Contamination occurs through respiratory secretions when an infected person sneezes or coughs.
Respiratory secretions thus reach the mouth or nose of people located nearby or even inhaled into the lungs. At present, it is not known whether the virus can be transmitted through surfaces or objects touched by those infected.
(Image Source – Google)
What are the symptoms?
The confirmed symptoms of Coronavirus disease are, according to the people affected: fever, cough, chest pain (dyspnea). According to the CDC, the symptoms of the disease may occur 2 to 14 days after exposure.
Ways to prevent the virus and treatment
Unfortunately, there is no treatment for this condition. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid direct exposure to the virus. Thus, it is recommended:
- Avoiding direct contact with sick persons;
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth with dirty hands;
- If we are sick and we have the flu it is important to stay home;
- Use of napkins in case of sneezing or coughing, which will be thrown to the basket immediately;
- Hand washing with soap and water at least 20 seconds after the meal or after coughing / sneezing. If soap or water are not available we can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- Inform the family doctor in case of fever, cough or dyspnea;
- It is recommended to wear a mask only if there are respiratory symptoms such as coughing or sneezing, to protect those around you. Once the mask has been used, it is recommended to discard it to avoid transmission of the virus.
According to the latest research in China, Hubei registered 143 deaths and 4,823 new cases, in total 66,497 cases registered.
So far, 67,192 cases have been discovered in the world , with 1,527 dead and 8,599 people cured.
In Romania, no case of Coronavirus has been discovered, but the authorities are prepared in case of diagnosis with this virus.
(Image Source – Dimitri Karastelev, Unsplash)